How I Beat My Bad Spending Habits (And the 3 Questions That Saved My Money)
A real-world guide to controlling your daily expenses and forcing your money to work for you.
Use these methods I have been using since day one to control my spending habits and achieve long-term financial stability. One of the main things you need to consider when it comes to spending is what you consume. Ask yourself these questions every single time you want to spend money:
Do I really need this?
Does it add real value to my life?
Does it solve a current problem?
Always ask these questions the moment you see an item you suddenly want to buy. I have programmed these questions into my head to the extent that whenever I want to buy something, I loop them over and over until I find the real answer.
The truth is, sometimes you don’t need the thing you want to buy. I used to have bad spending habits myself, buying things that weren't worth it at the time. For example, I might feel like buying a soft drink, even though drinking water would actually give me more satisfaction. Instead of buying an expensive soft drink, I choose water. And that saves me money.
These questions won't just save you from impulse spending; there are other critical things you need to consider, which I’ll list here.
First, make a list of the absolute essentials you need for your daily life—things like food, shelter, and other true necessities. Write them down.
Impulse spending often means being addicted to buying things that don't add value to your life in one way or another. The trap is that you usually don't notice your spending until the money is nearly gone. If you constantly feel the urge to spend the exact moment you receive money—whether from your job or anywhere else—that is not normal.
Don't let money control you; you control the money. Think about it: when you were broke and had no money, you still survived. That proves you have the power to manage the money you do receive and make it last for a long time.
Here are what you need to take note if you want to build long term wealth and escape from impuse spending.
1. Separate Your Needs from Your Wants
I mentioned this earlier, but you truly have to understand that not everything you see is worth buying. There are some things that absolutely require the question, "Do I need this?"—while your absolute necessities don't even need that question before you decide to pay for them. Always prioritize necessities like food, rent, transportation, and bills before you spend a single cent on luxury or impulse purchases.These methods are completely connected; once you master one, the others become much easier to maintain. For example, creating a budget and sticking to it directly helps you build the habit of separating your needs from your wants. Once you master budgeting, it gives you a clear map that shows you exactly where your necessities end and your wants begin.
3. Track Every Expense
Keep a strict record of where your money goes each day or week. Whether you use a simple notebook, a spreadsheet, or a budgeting app, tracking your expenses helps you identify your true spending habits and spot the exact areas where you can cut back.
Remember, the goal isn't to spend less on absolutely everything; it is to spend wisely. When you control your spending, you gain the ultimate freedom to save, invest, and finally achieve your long-term financial goals.
Changing your spending habits doesn't happen overnight, but it starts the very next time you pull out your wallet. Remember, you survived when things were tight—so you absolutely have the power to make your money last when things are good.
Don't just read this and forget it. Start today. Grab a notebook, list your daily needs, and the next time you see something you want to buy out of nowhere, loop those three questions in your head until you get the real answer. You control the money. It’s time to start acting like it.
What is the hardest thing for you to stop impulse buying? Let me know in the comments below, and let's talk about it!
Comments
Post a Comment